I have shared this idea with many people, but for some reason, I never thought of posting it here.
My original concept for speed cleaning came when I was trying to think of ideas for exercising whilst getting something done. The idea is to get your heart rate up, keep it up, and have a sparkly clean house at the end of it.
Basically, you just need to clean as fast as you can without stopping and if possible, without going into another room while you are doing it. Here's some tips:
1) Gather everything you need before you begin. It helps if you have all your cleaning materials in container that you can just take from room to room. If you need a vacuum, a mop, or a broom to complete the room, make sure they are there and easy to access.
2) Get a box or a laundry basket to put all items in the room that belong in other rooms. Toss anything that doesn't belong into that basket, which you will then carry from room to room as you clean, removing and putting items away as necessary.
3) Put a garbage bag within easy reach. This will also be taken from room to room as you clean.
4) It helps to have a time goal in mind. Assess the room–can you do it in ten minutes? Twenty? Set a time and then try to meet it.
5) Speed cleaning is not about organizing, it's about maintenance. There is no time for reflection on what things to keep or toss (aside from the obvious, like junk mail). If what your home really needs is organization, take a weekend to do it. I actually recommend pretending like you're moving house about twice a year–be brutal in determining what stays and what goes. Not only will this make speed cleaning much easier, but it will help you live a clutter free life.
Voila! Less than 15 minutes later, I have a lovely dining area. On to the rest of the house!